Hamster Fanatic Forum
How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - Printable Version

+- Hamster Fanatic Forum (http://www.hamsterfanaticforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Hamster (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Hamster FAQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) (/showthread.php?tid=1062)

Pages: 1 2 3

How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - wholestory - 10-29-2010 12:25 AM

I thought a thread about sexing your hamster might be useful. Was thinking we could post our photos of our hamster privates Laugh so that we could then combine it together into one, informative thread that gets tacked (pinned, whatever you call that) up there with all the other very informative threads.

To start, here's a link to Hamsterific.com that shows very nice diagrams about sexing adult Sylvians and Dwarfs. And I'm concerned that they might change the link to their page one day, so here are the important pictures on that page:
[attachment=386] [attachment=387]

Also, here is a good picture of one of the baby boy hamsters my Coco had. He's about 17 days old here. I guess since he's still so small, the gap between the holes is starting to get close to an adult female's gap. But at around this time, all three boys started having their balls filling out their rear ends, so I was positive they were all boys. Darn, I was hoping they might be all girls and I could keep them with mama.
[attachment=388] [attachment=389]

RE: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - wholestory - 10-29-2010 07:21 AM

OK, brace yourselves. I have weeded through all the appropriate and not so appropriate pictures on the internet and found these hamster pictures. I've saved the photos just in case the links stop working. So, in no particular order:
----------
http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10517&st=0
pg. 5 of the forum, posted by Baby Hamster in 2008:
[attachment=390]
Her 6 week old boy. Hard to tell which gender, but the tail does seem to be pushed "out" and the bottom more "bulging" because of the boy's sacs. Plus, there's a bit of hair between his anus and penis, which seems to be common for boys, but not a guarantee.

And then her other hamster appears to be a girl because of the close gap (like a mm or two apart) between the anus and vaginal opening. Plus, Baby Hamster mentions having seen nipples on this hamster at an earlier age:
[attachment=391]
Next, on page 4 of the same Hamster Hideout forum thread Junior Hamster posted a nice color sketch that he/she got from somewhere. Only problem is that sketches are idealized, and the genders never quite seem so obvious in real life to the newbie. Though, if you'll notice, there are small inset diagrams of the male and female from the side. They're showing you show the male's end is more "filled out". Notice back in the color diagram now the male has that extra pudge there that seems to push his tale out farther:
[attachment=392]

Finally, on page 1 of the same thread, Popstar Ham posts great photos showing the difference:
[attachment=393][attachment=394]
Note, again, the lack of hair between the two holes on the female, but not the male.

Next, http://michelletiare.blogspot.com/2009/07/guinea-pigs-vs-hamsters-crotch-pictures_20.html "Boomtown Bells" has a couple good photos they got from some books:
[attachment=395][attachment=396]
Male Syrian on the left (the testicles really give him away), and a female on the right (her teats help give her away). Note, that when a male hamster is cold, his testicles will draw closer into his body.
Next, I found http://homepage.mac.com/dymph/roborovski/info_breed_gen.html,R&R Hamsters 2.0. They show some good Robovorski pics:
[attachment=397]
http://therodentguy.com/-_sexing_hamsters The Rodent Guy
[attachment=398][attachment=399][attachment=400]
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Gerbils-Hamsters-2005/2008/11/sexing-roborovski-hamsters.htm

Someone named Slew posted the gender question for Nadia Vella (who said all three are female) (robovorski)
[attachment=401]
Slew is using the clever "put in a clear container and peak under" method. Can be nicer on human and hamster than the scruff of the neck method.
http://allabouthamsters.co.uk/sexinghamsters.aspx All About Hamsters
[attachment=402][attachment=403]
Male Robovorski on left with a prominent scent gland on his belly. Female Robo on the right.
http://www.hammysworld.com/index.php?p=sexing Hammy's World - sexing baby hamsters. The babies are four weeks old. Male on the left two pics, female on the right two pics.
[attachment=404][attachment=405] [attachment=406][attachment=407]
http://www.oakfarmrabbitsandrodents.co.uk/robo/sexing.html
Adult male followed by adult female (Robo's):
[attachment=408][attachment=409]

And 3.5 week male and then female (Robo's):
[attachment=410][attachment=411]
Though, honestly, I would have guessed they were both male. Any gendering experts out there agree or disagree?
http://oakfarmrabbitsandrodents.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=35
On this Oakfarm Rabbits and Rodents forum section, Toria posted in 2009 asking about the gender of the two Robo hamsters. P&H said they were both males. The first one did look male, but the second one turned out to be a female:
[attachment=412][attachment=413]
http://malaysianumber1.com/board/showthread.php?t=836
I guess this is crazymouse_yyh's photo. It shows the scruff method of holding the hamster. I would say this is a male, especially since the scent gland on the belly seems obvious.
[attachment=414]

I've read lots of people talking about how the scruffing method is not comfortable for hamsters. Though my vet swore that hold wasn't hurting my hamster when he was checking her out. Her eyeballs were popping out a bit, though, and she was pooing everywhere and squirming a lot. But a little later, she started playing "dead"; she was motionless and her eyes were closed. I tried to hold her more recently like this so I could see her teeth, and she only squirmed a little bit, and it was all over in a couple seconds. Then she didn't seem to care when I let go. She just sat there, sniffing about as if nothing had happened. Didn't even try to run away. So, I don't know.

RE: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - STs Hamstery - 10-29-2010 06:15 PM

Bernie scruffing if done correctly is a very safe and painless way to hold a hamster who needs more closer examination of a body part or for sexing. The young weaned pups will actually calm down and relax when held by the scruff.

When Mother hamsters collect their wondering pups at or about 9 days old she always scruffs them and carries them back to the nest. When Vets trim Hamster teeth and some do it when doing nails, they scruff the Hamster and clip teeth and trim nails with no bad effects.

Scruffing often is the only way to administer medications orally too.

RE: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - Sarah - 10-29-2010 09:26 PM

Quick question at sexing hamsters: Will all males have visible 'balls' and a sort of tapered rear end?Dylan got sexed by our vet who thought he was a boy but we've had him 6 months and no male parts have appeared!!!

RE: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - wholestory - 10-29-2010 10:59 PM

Sarah, I am no expert, but I may have one cautious cent to give. Do you keep it cold around Dylan's cage? If so, then maybe that might explain the lack of parts; they're tucked in closer to his body to keep warm. Like shrinkage in human males. Big smile

But if you keep it relatively warm, or hot, and nothing is hanging out, then try taking a look at Dylan's privates yourself. Are the holes close together? If you or someone you know is good with a camera, maybe you could post pics of the underside and we can try and help.

Speaking of, does anyone have any good pics of their hammy's undersides? Would be cool if you could post them here and we could try and guess what gender.

RE: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - STs Hamstery - 10-30-2010 03:21 PM

Your wish is my command. Big smile Here we go
Russian Campbell Dwarf (2.5 weeks old)
[Image: P1010012.jpg]

Russian Campbell Dwarf (5 weeks old)
[Image: Hoho-e-1.jpg]

Satin Whitebelly Golden Syrian(3 weeks,3 days)
[Image: Cheddarbears-day24-GoldenWhwhSHgirl.jpg]

Satin Umbrous Cinnamon Syrian(18 days old)
[Image: b.jpg]

Satin Umbrous Honeyblack Cream Syrian(1 month old)
[Image: Aslan-38daysold-e.jpg]

Satin Umbrous Cinnamon Syrian(7Months old)
[Image: Glamorgan-e.jpg]

Satin Black Syrian(5 months old)
[Image: Mystery-01-05-09-d.jpg]

Black Syrian(24 days old)
[Image: Nyxes-day23-c.jpg]

Black Syrian(24 days old)
[Image: Nyxes-day23-g.jpg]

Heterozygous Silver Gray Syrian(20 days old)
[Image: Patriotsday20-girls-e.jpg]

There you are 10 different Hamsters to test your skills on sexing Big smile
Note: no scruffed Hamster was harmed during this photo testLOL Flag

RE: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - wholestory - 10-30-2010 11:14 PM

I just busted out laughing: "So, Sylvia, what did you do Saturday night?" "Oh, not much, just looked at hamster privates."

Excellent, exactly the kind of pictures I wanted. So, let's see how I did.... (adding a bit of hamster commentary)...

[attachment=415] "High five!"
[attachment=416] "On the side!"
[attachment=417] "Goodness, what is she lookin' at???"
[attachment=418] "Gar- ...Et...tu.. Brute?"
[attachment=419] "Peace out, dudes!"
[attachment=420] "Gasp! Is that Ceiling Cat?"
[attachment=421] "Weee! Superwoman (man)!" (Edit 22 Nov 2010: turned out to be Superman; Lesson learned: not all long haired male hamsters sport long skirts of hair)
[attachment=422] "Smooooth, like butter"
[attachment=423] "Jazz hands!"
[attachment=424] "<singing> to the left, to the left,..."

How'd I do, how'd I do???
The Satin Black Syrian with the long hair.... at five months old, would a male already have really long hair everywhere? So, since this one only has really long hair in the rear area, would that make this Syrian a female???

RE: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - animalcrazy - 10-30-2010 11:45 PM

Lol, the captions are hilarious! Nice thread, very informative..

RE: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - STs Hamstery - 10-31-2010 02:32 AM

(10-30-2010 11:14 PM)wholestory Wrote:  I just busted out laughing: "So, Sylvia, what did you do Saturday night?" "Oh, not much, just looked at hamster privates."

Excellent, exactly the kind of pictures I wanted. So, let's see how I did.... (adding a bit of hamster commentary)...

"High five!"
"On the side!"
"Goodness, what is she lookin' at???"
"Gar- ...Et...tu.. Brute?"
"Peace out, dudes!"
"Gasp! Is that Ceiling Cat?"
"Weee! Superwoman (man)!"
"Smooooth, like butter"
"Jazz hands!"
"<singing> to the left, to the left,..."

How'd I do, how'd I do???
The Satin Black Syrian with the long hair.... at five months old, would a male already have really long hair everywhere? So, since this one only has really long hair in the rear area, would that make this Syrian a female???

pretty good However lets let a few more give it a go before I say how well(or badly) you did.

RE: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - Musicmad - 10-31-2010 03:18 PM

Okay, here are my guesses from what I can see...

1.Female
2.Male
3.Male
4.Female
5.Male
6.Female
7.Male
8.Male
9.Female
10.Female

Michelle

RE: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - STs Hamstery - 10-31-2010 05:17 PM

Interesting, You both have 90% correct but the incorrect answer is NOT the same one lol

Come on people don't be shy tell us your answers.

RE: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - Spacemonkey - 11-01-2010 01:20 AM

1 female
2 male
3 female
4 male
5 male
6 female
7 male
8 male
9 female
10 female

Bit hard to tell on some Laugh

RE: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - STs Hamstery - 11-01-2010 01:39 AM

LOL now you got 90% right and yet again a different wrong answer to the one for the others.
Only one that I used to fool some is one of the 10. All have been right on that one. The others all have full genitals in plain view.

RE: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - Vectis Hams - 11-01-2010 07:42 PM

Chinese hamsters are nice and easy to tell apart, even when babies Thumbs up
Female (underneath):
[Image: Ruby1.jpg]
Close spacing of openings and nipple lines (easier to see on babies with thinner belly fur)
Female from side:
[Image: lulu-on-tree.gif]
Smooth profile of rear end
Male(underneath):
[Image: L1030657.jpg]
Wide spacing of openings and large scrotum
Male from side:
[Image: val-on-log.gif]
Promintent scrotum present

This is my "test" hamster to see if the judges are still awake Laugh Cosmo has been judged as male and female at shows and is 4 months old in the piccies.
From the top (female outline of rear end):
[Image: L1030070-1.jpg]
From underneath (male spacing between openings):
[Image: L1030071.jpg]
Cosmo is a bilateral cryptorchid (both testes have not descended). He will be having them removed soon due to the high cancer risk.

RE: How to tell your hamster's gender (hamster sexing) - Scotia - 11-02-2010 11:46 AM

thats why i love my chinese boy, i know 110% he is a boy LOL Flag With my dwarf jake im still not convinced he is a boy, so i gave him a pink wheel, just in case wink

my guesses.
1. F
2. M
3. F
4. F
5. M?
6. F
7. M
8. M
9. F
10. F