Hamster Fanatic Forum
My hamster's favouritism! - Printable Version

+- Hamster Fanatic Forum (http://www.hamsterfanaticforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Hamster (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Syrian Hamster Questions/General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: My hamster's favouritism! (/showthread.php?tid=8881)

My hamster's favouritism! - debpeb - 01-22-2017 11:00 PM

Hi! I have a gorgeous Syrian hamster called Dobby (don't ask!) who has been the tamest hamster i've ever had. He will sit for ages letting me tickle his ears and stroke him but as soon as my partner sits by me Dobby runs over to him and either snuggles up near my partners elbow and falls asleep or runs up to his shoulder and snuggles in towards his neck and goes to sleep. He's only recently started doing this and i'm just a bit curious as to why he's doing this. He'll sit snuggled up for about 20 minutes not moving. Never seen this with a hamster before and would love to know what he's thinking and why he suddenly leaves me as soon as he sees my partner

RE: My hamster's favouritism! - hammyhugs - 01-24-2017 10:26 AM

For some reason love, animals like more than one person particularly and I think he is leaving you just because he wants to share his affections. Try giving him more treats when he is with you to encourage him to stay longer. I have never had a remotely cuddly hammie, all mine have been a bit stand offish so maybe I am not the best person to give advice. I hope he starts to spend more time with you though, they can be hurtful can't they? Please keep us updated.

Hugs
Jo xx

RE: My hamster's favouritism! - debpeb - 01-24-2017 05:28 PM

(01-24-2017 10:26 AM)hammyhugs Wrote:  For some reason love, animals like more than one person particularly and I think he is leaving you just because he wants to share his affections. Try giving him more treats when he is with you to encourage him to stay longer. I have never had a remotely cuddly hammie, all mine have been a bit stand offish so maybe I am not the best person to give advice. I hope he starts to spend more time with you though, they can be hurtful can't they? Please keep us updated.

Hugs
Jo xx

Awww thank you Jo. He's an absolute sweetheart! Tamest hamster i've ever had and none of mine have been cuddly like he is. Maybe that's what he's doing. He knows I tickle his ears and give him a fuss and treats whereas my partner kind of ignores him when he's sat with him so maybe he just likes the peace. Like you say, can be a bit hurtful as you wonder what you've done wrong when he'll sit with him for ages. I can't complain though, he'll sit with me in the mornings for some breakfast and later before my partner sits with us. Soon as my partner sits down he runs to him. Maybe he wears a better fragrance Hmmmmrolleyes

RE: My hamster's favouritism! - hammyhugs - 01-25-2017 10:23 AM

You are very welcome hunni and please don't worry, I am sure he loves you very much. It is like with our Holly bunny, she loves her snuggles and we have plenty of them but sometimes when Paul comes into the room she will leave me and go to him and I do ask myself why. I do honestly think that much of it is food orientated, all our pets love treats and that is what rules their lives even if they are bonded with us. Treats are things which happen quite frequently in our house and most of our pets love their food as we do and they say pets take after their owners LOL! Thanks for the update love.

Hugs
Jo xx

RE: My hamster's favouritism! - Rolo - 02-01-2017 08:35 PM

None of my hams have ever been so cuddly! you have a real sweetie there! the closest I get is a Guinea pig who curls up on my lap.

RE: My hamster's favouritism! - Carol-JPP - 02-07-2017 05:29 AM

Perhaps he just goes to your partner when he needs a nap. It sounds like you get the more active interaction. Perhaps you are more stimulating. I wouldn't worry about t. I think you get your share of loves.

RE: My hamster's favouritism! - debpeb - 02-07-2017 07:21 PM

Thank you for your comments. Dobby sat having his ears tickled for about 20 minutes earlier then decided to walk over to my partner and curled up to sleep. I think you're probably right, he comes to me for a fuss and goes to my partner for sleeps. He sits by the door of his house when he wants us to get him out. So cute!

RE: My hamster's favouritism! - hammyhugs - 02-08-2017 10:29 AM

You are very welcome Deb. It maybe because your partners ignores him hunni, he knows he will get attention from you but your partner is more of a challenge. Wanting what is not readily available and all that. I have guinea pigs Rolo love but I have never had one that would go to sleep on me, that must be just wonderful. Thanks for the updates.smile

Hugs
Jo xx