Hamster Fanatic Forum
Cut that won't seem to heal. - Printable Version

+- Hamster Fanatic Forum (http://www.hamsterfanaticforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Hamster (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dwarf Hamster Questions/General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Cut that won't seem to heal. (/showthread.php?tid=8885)

Cut that won't seem to heal. - Illusion - 03-15-2017 08:12 PM

Hi, it's been a long time since I last posted here but I need some advice if anyone has any experience of this sort of thing?

My hamster has a large wound at the base of his ear, spreading right down to his cheek. Vet has given antibiotics and painkiller but it won't heal. It is just getting worse and I can't take him back to the vet till Friday. He won't leave it alone and let him scab over, just constantly worries at it and has started shaking his head and sometimes seems off balance for a second. He is active and eating and seems alright in himself but this cut has been open and bleeding for a week now so I'm pretty worried about him. His poor little ear is all sticking together with blood. I can't clean it, he won't let me touch it but it looks fairly clean anyway. There isn't any blood in his bed so I don't think it can be bleeding like this all the time. Think he must just be pulling the scab off when he washes.

Does anyone have any idea what I could do or if he will be alright? Thanks for any responses.

RE: Cut that won't seem to heal. - Illusion - 03-26-2017 03:21 PM

Anyone? Any advice at all?

RE: Cut that won't seem to heal. - hammyhugs - 03-27-2017 08:41 AM

Hello love, sorry, this forum is not as active as it was and i apologise for not replying sooner. If you have taken him to the vet and you still have concerns, ring the vet again and tell them what the situation is. They will be able to advise or bring Friday's appointment forward. If he is eating it is a very good sign but please do let me know what the vet says once you have telephoned them.

Hugs
JO xx

RE: Cut that won't seem to heal. - Illusion - 03-29-2017 09:37 AM

(03-27-2017 08:41 AM)hammyhugs Wrote:  Hello love, sorry, this forum is not as active as it was and i apologise for not replying sooner. If you have taken him to the vet and you still have concerns, ring the vet again and tell them what the situation is. They will be able to advise or bring Friday's appointment forward. If he is eating it is a very good sign but please do let me know what the vet says once you have telephoned them.

Hugs
JO xx

Thank you for replying, he has been admitted last night for a biopsy as it has really swollen up this last week (think he might be allergic to the fucidin cream they gave me to put on it) and to see whether his pouch might have something stuck in there. I'm waiting now to hear back on how he is. The cut just isn't healing, is actually starting to look necrotic and the vet is flummoxed as to what it is. I was just hoping someone here might have seen something like it before as I know many of you breed hamsters.

RE: Cut that won't seem to heal. - hammyhugs - 03-31-2017 08:18 AM

I have never bred hammies love and I do so wish I could help you with this. If it is starting to look necrotic, the vet must be able to do something about it. Please do keep us informed, I hope the little chap is OK.

Hugs
Jo xx

RE: Cut that won't seem to heal. - Illusion - 03-31-2017 01:29 PM

(03-31-2017 08:18 AM)hammyhugs Wrote:  I have never bred hammies love and I do so wish I could help you with this. If it is starting to look necrotic, the vet must be able to do something about it. Please do keep us informed, I hope the little chap is OK.

Hugs
Jo xx

It's swollen massively now and the biopsy results aren't back. He is still eating and drinking but can't seem to clean or groom himself anymore. He has antibiotics and drops to put on it but don't seem to be making a difference. I'm trying to decide whether to wait a bit longer or put him to sleep. I don't know what would be kindest. Honestly, it's breaking my heart.

Thank you for your support even if you can't help. Xx

RE: Cut that won't seem to heal. - hammyhugs - 04-01-2017 08:59 AM

Oh sweetie, I am so very sorry to hear this and I wish I were there to give you hugs and support. I think you had better get him to a vet as soon as poss as not being able to groom himself can lead to other health issues. Please keep me posted and I am so sorry I cannot be of more help.

Hugs
JO xx

RE: Cut that won't seem to heal. - Illusion - 04-01-2017 09:45 PM

(04-01-2017 08:59 AM)hammyhugs Wrote:  Oh sweetie, I am so very sorry to hear this and I wish I were there to give you hugs and support. I think you had better get him to a vet as soon as poss as not being able to groom himself can lead to other health issues. Please keep me posted and I am so sorry I cannot be of more help.

Hugs
JO xx

Last couple of days he does seem to have brightened up a little although his coat is filthy. He is cleaning himself, I have been watching him but I think where I put his drops on and then he runs into his bed and tries to wipe it off, he is smearing it everywhere and can't get rid of it. Looks like he has had a greasy bath in the stuff, luckily they aren't toxic. I feel awful though, he has stopped coming out when I call him and hisses when I pick him up now. He knows what is coming and hates having it put on and every time he sees me he knows I'm going to put drops on him. Feel so evil.

Just hoping the Baytril in his water starts to work soon. I should have his results on Monday and then have to take him for a follow up to see how he is doing. Will have to make a decision then on what the kindest thing to do is, based on how he is and what his results are.

It honestly helps just to have someone to talk to, Jo, thank you so much for responding.

xx

RE: Cut that won't seem to heal. - hammyhugs - 04-02-2017 02:15 PM

You are very welcome love, I am glad to be here for you. Anytime you want to chat. I did get out of the habit of checking on here for a while because there are seldom any new posts, but I am back into it again.

I am so sorry that your little one is having such a bad time but I would certainly take him back to the vet tomorrow love if you can. He doesn't sound too good at all. If he is dirty and unable to clean himself, he is going to be very distressed. I too hope the baytril starts to work soon but I still think he needs to be seen again. I am so sorry I cannot be of more help; if I lived near you I would be able to give you some proper support. Please keep me updated hunni and I really hope this sorts itself out. Chat soon.Wave

Love
Jo xx

RE: Cut that won't seem to heal. - Illusion - 04-02-2017 02:42 PM

(04-02-2017 02:15 PM)hammyhugs Wrote:  You are very welcome love, I am glad to be here for you. Anytime you want to chat. I did get out of the habit of checking on here for a while because there are seldom any new posts, but I am back into it again.

I am so sorry that your little one is having such a bad time but I would certainly take him back to the vet tomorrow love if you can. He doesn't sound too good at all. If he is dirty and unable to clean himself, he is going to be very distressed. I too hope the baytril starts to work soon but I still think he needs to be seen again. I am so sorry I cannot be of more help; if I lived near you I would be able to give you some proper support. Please keep me updated hunni and I really hope this sorts itself out. Chat soon.Wave

Love
Jo xx

Can't get him back to vets until Wednesday but he seems OK in himself now. Just fed up of being woken up and pulled about. Greasy coat I think is mostly due to rolling in his drops and can't clean it properly because he has it on his paws and face so just smears it. The vet said his balance issues are mostly because of his ear being swollen.

It's nice to see you back on here, you were a familiar name at one stage.

Xx

RE: Cut that won't seem to heal. - hammyhugs - 04-03-2017 09:08 AM

I am glad he is better love and yes, his balance issues will be because of his ear trouble. As you say he is probably wanting a lot of rest at the moment and doesn't appreciate being woken up.

Yes, I have been trying to keep things going but there is only is much one person can do. That is why I still check up on here every so often.

Hugs
Jo xx

RE: Cut that won't seem to heal. - Illusion - 04-09-2017 06:17 PM

(04-03-2017 09:08 AM)hammyhugs Wrote:  I am glad he is better love and yes, his balance issues will be because of his ear trouble. As you say he is probably wanting a lot of rest at the moment and doesn't appreciate being woken up.

Yes, I have been trying to keep things going but there is only is much one person can do. That is why I still check up on here every so often.

Hugs
Jo xx

Unfortunately he went quite quickly downhill on Thursday and I took him that evening to be put to sleep. Thanks so much for all your lovely messages, it was so kind of you.

xx

RE: Cut that won't seem to heal. - hammyhugs - 04-10-2017 01:53 PM

I am so very sorry darling, you are welcome to what help I could give.

Hugs
JO xx